The Mara Montessori Outdoor Education Program functions as part of the overall School Mission.
“Maria Montessori Academy is dedicated to providing a comprehensive Montessori education that facilitates the development of the whole child”
Specifically, the goals of our Outdoor Education program are to:
- Ensure a focus upon the physical and emotional safety, security and well being of students, staff, visitors and volunteers through a pro-active risk management program.
- Help to facilitate and develop community, leadership skills and the ability to work effectively with others.
- Assist each student in developing outdoor/environmental skills and experiences.
- Introduce students to surrounding outdoor education opportunities.
- Foster an appreciation and responsibility for the natural environment.
- Offer programs that are rewarding, challenging and enjoyable.
- Foster personal growth and character development.
- Lifelong love of the outdoors, appreciation and understanding of nature and world around us
“That which ought and can best be taught inside the classroom should there be taught, and that which can best be learned through experience dealing directly with native materials and real life situations outside the school should there be learned”
- Julian Smith, 1943